Saturday, August 21, 2010

Thrifty Hand-Me-Down's

Hola Readers!

So first of all, thanks so much for your comments on my last post!  I really appreciate it and it's nice to know there are some lovelies out there interested in what I'm writing!  =)

So, yesterday I thought I would "capture" and share some of the lovely little ditties that Mark and I inherited while we were in Texas.

All of the items in this post are from Ms. K, our downstairs neighbor who passed away just a few weeks before I moved back to KC.  

Well to start with, these cute little baskets got a fresh paint job yesterday afternoon...

Not sure what I'll use them for yet, but this seemed like a fun little time filler to help me avoid the boxes for a while... plus the spray paint was left over from previous projects.  =)

But those are just silly little teasers... 
This item here is the main reason I wanted to make this post...

An antique hat rack / umbrella stand that Ms. K's son so generously gave to us in the midst of packing up her apartment.  It was so sweet of him.
The brass is in serious need of polishing, but I love the gorgeous cherry wood and adorable little details like the marble shelf and crystal drawer knob.
This pane of glass is what slides in that opening at the very top... It is extremely yellowed and stained as you can see from the picture, but that should all clean up rather easily {when I finally get around to it}.
I still can't believe he so graciously passed this beautiful piece of furniture on to us.
 

Now for a bit of a debate:
I'm not a big brass fan.  Rephrase: I won't say "hate," but I really, really dislike brass.  I am more in favor of painting it a flat black to make it look like wrought iron or something but the hubs loves the brass and really wants to polish it instead of paint it.  I've told him that we can give polishing a try first, but if it won't shine up well, painting it is.

Though we've already compromised on a temporary verdict I'm curious, what do you think we should do with the brass hat hangers?  
Would you Polish or Paint?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading comments, thanks for leaving one!