I recently made a set of these cute little guys for my big sister, Jenna as well as my dear, dear friend, Britney.
These are a fun, simple and affordable gift for baby showers, baby arrival, or just because!
I used a tutorial found on one of the blogs I follow, but I cannot find the link for the life of me now, so sorry. But I will give a simplified run-down of what I did.
Now, I am a precise rule follower -- sometimes to the point of fault -- the first time I do anything, so at the end of this post I will also include a few points of things I will do differently next time.
1) Line up three layers of birdseye material, one on top of the other
2) You can probably cut two cloth widths from one stack... approximately 12 inches in width and 18 in length... adjust to your liking if you'd like them longer/shorter.
3) Run the long edges through the sewing machine, then turn the material inside-out / rightside-out... whatever you want to call it.
4) Cut and pin your choice of ribbon to line the inside third of the cloth -- stitch it in place then trim excess ribbon from edges.
5) Line top and bottom edges (the short ones) with quilt binding, pin in place then stitch and trim excess, carefully, as close to edge seam as possible. Careful not to cut into the seam of your long edge.
Disclaimer: I am no seasoned seamstress... I just do it how it makes sense to me! So if any of you reading this are going, "No, not that way!" I take no offense... if you know a better method then by all means! =)
I think they're adorable and the mommies appeared to think so as well! =)
Okay, now for the few things I would do differently...
1. One thing I did change after the first set was sewing the long edge and then flipping the fabric inside out. The tutorial said to stitch then trim the excess with pinking sheers... I did that with the first set and it didn't go well -- frayed like crazy -- so I changed my method with the second set. I believe it was a good call.
2. In the future, I would add some extra material to the middle section of these burp cloths. Let's face it, we all know that's where the majority of the mess is usually aimed, and we could use some extra protection there. ;) I would have added it with the second set, but I didn't have enough material and had a deadline.
Alrighty folks, I think that's it!
Let me know if you make some of these fun little guys yourself... I sure had a good time with them.
Now I must be off to see what our crazy pups won't stop barking at in the back yard... ;)
Thanks for stopping by!